Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sierra Nevada - torpedo extra IPA

I had always heard good things about this brewery, so I decided to finally try one. So far not so good. At this point I would ram this in with Samuel Adams...

On first pour it had a slightly sweet aroma that is mouth watering. And I had hoped that it would be a beer that the taste would follow the smell. It pours a dark golden brown with an absolute ton of head. Not like "wow there is a lot of head", but "oh holy hell, where is the sink" lots of head. Not like a couple fingers of head, but like a fist of head. And it takes a good amount of time for it to go do down. The lacing is substantial on the glass like a Porter or stout would be as well.
I hate to say it, but this is another "I'm sorry but..." post. Taste wise this is a good beer, but it is definately not for me. It starts with a good IPA bite that is great, with a backbone of floral and citrus notes, but the aftertaste is where it leaves me longing. It finishes with a dry bitter hoops taste that wants me to go run and grab the nearest bag of chips or pretzels. I'm not a big fan of dry. I'm sure there are people out there that love it, but I'm not one of them...
I will try more of their products as this is a good beer, its just not a beer that after a long days work that I would long for to unwind and relax with. They have to good of a reputation for this one beer to ruin all of their beers for me. But for the time being, I would classify it as a good solid review of "meh"...

No comments:

Post a Comment