Friday, April 1, 2011

Bridgeport - Hop Czar

This is a beer that constantly comes up on the "best of" lists... yet another case of, don't always trust your beer tastes by someone else's... I think its partially there, it is just not all its cracked up to be.

Poured into a pilsner glass it pours a nice hazy golden amber with about a half a finger head. Smell is light and crisp, and it leaves stringy lacing on the glass as you drink it up.
OK so on the taste front, this really isn't a bad beer. It is just not my style... but here we go.
It has a fairly heavy body for a beer that is this hoppy. It starts with a grapefruit ish citrus front, leading to a sappy pine flavor back bone. Then finishes with the hops, a bitter spicey dry finish. And that is where I get turned off... if they would have cut the dryness of the beer in the finish and added a little honey to the flavor profile I would love this beer.
It does get a little less harsh as it warms up a bit. For me it goes from almost pouring it out to, meh, might as well finish it, to simply meh. When it comes to the super hoppy beers I do believe I would rather take Lagunatis - hop stupid ale. I think it is just a stronger player in this style in my eyes, call blasphemy if you must... but its just my opinion...

No comments:

Post a Comment